Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mom's of Adopted Kids Support Group!

Might as well call it a parenting support group as well!! :)  Had a great time and lots of good conversation! Thanks to all that came out and shared, loved and laughed! :)  I look forward to meeting more Mom's in the future!  
Tonight it was held at my home, but I am open to other options, like coffee houses (have to watch the closing times though!), restaurants or other homes.  We had a nice time of sharing and I want to share a little of what I learned as a new going-to-be adopting Mom....
  • God is always working to shape us and change us more into His image and showing us about His heart for others. 
  • Just when you thought - oh no, that's not for me...He is saying, YES it is! 
  • He will show you more about yourself through your child, revealing things wanted and unwanted.
  • Buy a music CD (lullabies), toy with native language or book with sounds in your child's native language while traveling in order to help soothe your child during some grieving moments after the move. 
  • You may need a rocking chair! Even if your child resists at first keep trying to rock the child at times.  It will end up being a soothing time for him or her.
  • Be prepared to lead a dull and boring life for maybe up to the first year the child is home.  For those that don't understand.....this means, plan on spending all of your 'free' time with your child working on bonding, reading, teaching, loving, etc.
  • One thing that amazes me is that from all these adoptive Mom's I have run into in the past few months...I am only hearing, "I want to do it again!" and "next time...I will do this" and "I can't wait for our next one..I actually have one picked out!"  Wow! Fabulous!
  • My security is in the Lord as I hear about His faithfulness to others in their process and can lean back on Him- knowing that He is orchestrating this adoption.
Looking forward to the next group in September! :)

"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." Psalm 24:1a

Blessings to all, Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment