Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Moms Tea Time

Praise God for the Moms God brought in my life.  
My 'family' keeps growing and I thank the Lord for him bringing me 'sisters'.
 We grow up in a family on this earth 
and each day He keeps revealing to us our eternal family. 
 He keeps giving us eternal eyes.  

Lord, keep giving us eyes to see what You see and arms to love as you love.  
May we see You in all the daily tasks and in the big answers. 
May You be our hope each day as we pick up the cross each day.  
May we lay down our own plans and dreams for Your plans and dreams.  
Lord, I no longer! hold onto what I want or what I think I should do.  
Lord, may each day and each moment be surrendered to YOU so You work through me and I can glory in YOU and not in myself.  
May You  be glorified in this life....not MY LIFE, but YOUR LIFE IN ME.  
Use me, use this marriage, use this family.  


Open Hands.
There was a time when God realigned my thinking with His.
He still is, of course.
However, there was a time that I had decided...
'when I adopt, it will be an infant for sure.'
Well, God was patient with my selfish thinking. He was patient with this selfish girl.  He knows our hearts and thoughts.  He knows our motives.  My motive was that the bond would be better this way between the infant and myself. The attachment would be healthy.  And there would be less life experiences --so less chance of the child having 'issues'.  
Ugh. 
What ugly thinking.
Praise God for His love and gentleness with me.  
Thankful that He did not think that way toward me.

I do understand that adopting an infant is an amazing blessing! 
I DO understand that could even be in our future at some point.  However, God had to show me that He is first in my life.  
He had me sacrifice my 'Isaac'.  
He had to realign my thinking to HIS.  
He asked me to surrender my desire.

Attachment
 Any child that has had a 'break' in their parent attachment between the ages of 0-3 years is going to experience grief and possibly have difficulty attaching in a healthy way to an adoptive parent(s). 
The GOOD NEWS is that this attachment can be formed yet.  
The child can HEAL! 
God is a God of HOPE remember?
The younger the child given the opportunity for healing the better, even though, it can happen at any age!

God is bringing all the right people in my life at just the right time.
He has brought a friend and therapist in my life that specifically works with attachment.  Amazing.

Packing for the trip:
bubbles
lotion
baby powder
noisy touch

Playing games with your child builds bonds.
Take time to play.  
As busy parents with three children already sometimes I have often found it difficult to slow down and just play.
Tell yourself, you will sit down and play with your child for at least 15 minutes a day. You can even break that time up in several sessions, but it will bless you and your child.  It will give your child what he/she needs, fill his/her love bank and help you relax.  It will also build that healthy bond that the child needs to have healthy relationships when he/she grows up.

So, even though----MORE BIG NEWS---God has provided another sweet friend that speaks fluent 'her country' language that Lord willing will be available to help us assimilate her when she arrives.......Yes!
There will not only be a break in caregivers for her and a change in countries, but there will also be a language barrier.  
Given this and the attachment that will need special nurturing----here are a few games we will use to communicate our love and affection! :)

  • Blow bubbles and pop them together, try to catch them, etc.
  • Rub lotion on her arms, hands, etc. and let her rub some on my hands, etc.
  • Play in the baby powder--after a bath or whenever, put some on your hands and pat them on a towel to make handprints. 
  • Noisy touch--touch her nose and make a honk noise, pull the earlobe and blow air out of your mouth with a noise, etc. Then do the same on your own nose, earlobe, etc.
This group is also for those just 'interested' in adoption, we welcome you.
"Everyone misses out that doesn't get to adopt." ~ One of my sisters
Blessings, Alyssa





No comments:

Post a Comment